Monday, June 4, 2012

Help from the Other Side, Part I

My husband and I have lived in the Midwest for 9 years, but I am originally a Utah girl. My mother's family has been in Utah for several generations, so I never expected to find a close link to any of my maternal ancestors here in Kansas City.

As I was going through my lines on the new Family Search system several weeks ago, updating and merging duplicates, I discovered a great grand uncle who ended up here in the Kansas City area back in the 1950s.

I did some quick "digging" and found that he and his wife had both died here and had been buried in the Floral Hills Cemetery in Raytown, Missouri.

Four weeks ago, my mother and I decided to go try and find their grave sites.

Luckily, this was a cemetery that is still selling new plots, so it was easy to find a phone number on their website. While at the cemetery, we called and asked for the plot information, and they called right back with it.

We found the plot, and I snapped this picture.

We drove home, and I added the picture and information to my files and then didn't think much else about it.

Two weeks ago, I would have another experience with this uncle that wouldn't be so easy to forget.

Part II coming soon...

No comments: